There are several ways to communicate with your students via email in CourseWorks.
The “mailtool” is the first option. Click “site settings” —> “edit tools” and enable the mailtool option. Mailtool offers a flexible system to email your students and others and logs all outgoing emails.
Many of Sakai’s other tools also offer email options. For example, if you upload a file to the “files and resources” section, there’s a dropdown menu at the bottom of the page, which allows you to send an email to students alerting them of the new posting.
To compose and send a message:
- In your Site Tools, click Mailtool
- Click Compose
- In the “To” field, you will see "All," “Roles,” and “Groups”. Selecting "All" will send the email to all course participants (including Instructors and TAs).
- If you select "Roles" or "Groups", these buttons enable dynamic dropdown lists of roles and groups for your Course Site.
- You can select all within a role or group by checking the box next to it. If you’d like to select individuals within a role or group, click on the word itself to enable a dynamic list of participants within that role or group
- Enter the content for your Subject and Message using the text editor
- Under "Attachments", you can attach a file from your local computer or from Resources, or specify the URL for a file on the web
- When you're finished, click Send to send your message